The cold weather has gotten me craving a lot of things lately and one of them… muffins! It could be a breakfast muffin, dinner-in-a-muffin or a dessert muffin-I want them all! I found a bunch of muffin recipes that looked yummy to try, so I printed a few of them out and have loved all of them.
What I love about muffins is that they’re already prepared for a quick on- the- go light meal or snack. You can make mini ones for a lower calorie count, too!
Whenever I’m at a local bakery or bagel shop, I tend to go for the classic blueberry muffin. They’re definitely my all-time favorite. However, all of them are really sweet that I feel almost guilty eating them, especially for breakfast!
I took a blueberry muffin recipe and revamped it to make it semi-healthy. Now, if you want one that’s not really sweet at all, this is the one for you! You can make large or mini muffins. The mini-blueberry muffins estimates to be about 43 calories each. It’s just enough to satisfy a craving without blowing a chunk of your daily calories from only one large muffin.
Healthy Blueberry Muffins
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oat bran flakes
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 bananas (mashed)
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries (can also be frozen and thawed)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spray muffin tin with nonstick butter flavored cooking spray.
- Whisk together the first five ingredients.
- In your stand mixer bowl, combine the applesauce and sugar. You will then add your eggs in, one at a time.
- In a small bowl mashed your bananas and add the milk and vanilla.
- While your mixer is on, add the dry ingredients and the banana mixture a little bit at a time (alternating). Combine together and fold in berries.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until fork comes out clean.
I spread a little Brummel & Brown yogurt spread on the warm muffin and it was delish!
Stay Warm, my friends!